“My Long Road to Destination Fulbright.” Etc Magazine. Autumn 2012.
Bekah, now Baihe: updated 8/2011 — 7/2012
I recently finished a yearlong stint as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. As a challenge to myself, and as a way to shed light on my oft-overlooked home country of Taiwan, I created a blog in which to chronicle my adventures. While I was updating it daily, it averaged a little over a thousand page views per month.
However, as a result of its being a daily blog, undertaken as a side project while I was teaching abroad and learning another language, some entries are less than inspiring, and many posts contain typos and other little errors that I simply didn’t have the time to search for and fix, so please pardon my dust, and enjoy!
Word-of-the-Day Toilet Paper: updated 8/2012 — present
This is my first real “concept” blog, and the concept is simple: I post a word a day, with definition, background–and what it should mean, if I had my way. For all the logophiles out there.
The Falcon: 1/2010 — 6/2011
I spent the last two years of my college career contributing writing and editing to Seattle Pacific University’s award-winning weekly newspaper, The Falcon. I was an Opinions writer from January 2010 to June 2010, before taking on the role of News Editor for the September 2010 to June 2011 academic year. While I was there, The Falcon was honored twice with the Society of Professional Journalists’ Mark of Excellence award for Best All-Around Non-Daily Newspaper, Region 10, winning 1st place in 2010, and 3rd place in 2011. Here are a few of the pieces I did for The Falcon.
- “Middle ground often lost in partisan world.” Jan. 27, 2010
- “Go forth, do work, study too.” Feb. 17, 2010
- “Illegal immigrants, unemployment.” Mar. 10, 2010
- “Bursting SPU bubble through newspapers.” May 26, 2010
- “Lohara calls for campus involvement.” Oct. 10, 2010
- “Rally to Restore Sanity joins laughs, politics.” Nov. 3, 2010
- “Local pastors say LGBT is ‘not an issue'” Nov. 10, 2010
- “Engineering program ‘on the leading edge’” Nov. 17, 2010
- “Ice skater finds new passion in ROTC.” Jan. 19, 2011
- “University increases tuition by 4.8 percent.” Feb. 23, 2011